Various forms of technology can support or hinder collaboration.
Groupware is software designed for multi-person use. Other terms for groupware include collaborative technologies.
While there are different ways to classify groupware, some major types are
- e-mail (include ftp?)
- conferencing software (remote desktop control, screen sharing)
- virtual office (usually centers around file sharing)
- project management
- messaging (text messaging such as IM)
- electronic meeting support (brainstorming, voting)
- calendar and scheduling
- interactive web (e.g., wiki)
...display: projectors, whiteboards... ...communication: telephones, ... ...other: voting tools, ...
- ACM's list of related conferences